Friday, May 24, 2013

Convicted, regretful, and determined

No filter used on this post....
Tonight as my children were playing, I was laying on the couch and had my phone in my hands. I was browsing Instagram, Facebook, reading the news and blogs, etc. I was with my children but I was not WITH my children. I confess this is a pretty regular habit. While catching up on the daily news feed, a friend reposted a blog from Hands Free Mama. Another confession- I rarely read or click on links that people post. The title of the blog post intrigued me - "How to miss a childhood.". So I clicked the link (Click here to go to the blog article)...
It was painful. It hurt and still hurts. Looking into a mirror and seeing that "yikes!" I'm guilty of so many of the things this mother had noticed in herself and those around her. Our digital age is amazing and destructive in so many ways. I'm so guilty of giving more time to my phone, computer, or tv than to my children. Just typing that stings me. I regret putting my girls to bed and reading Facebook. I'm ashamed that I wake up and read the news on my phone and not the Bible. Or even at least the Bible app that is on the first page on my phone! I regret being sitting next to my husband and both of us playing on our devices instead of a game with each other! The list can go on and on and on. I'm guilty.... I'm ashamed... I'm regretful...
And now I'm determined to change. Summer is coming and it will be a great time to challenge myself. Last summer I was Facebook free and it was honestly wonderful! This summer the challenge will be to go further. To spend time engaged with my children and my husband without the distraction of my phone or computer. Yes I will use my phone and probably still be on some social media, but it will not be at the expense of my family. I'm going to limit myself and try to put some checks in place to make sure my priorities are correct. I do not want my girls to be like some of my students who even shower with their phones. Hopefully I can change my habits so that someday when my girls have their own phones they will have a good example set for them. We do not have to have our phones in our hands all the time.
Earlier this year I was able to go to an amazing conference with Christian Educators Association. The leader of the event told us that people who write their goals down are 50% more likely to achieve them and those that share them publicly are even more likely to achieve them. I know by writing this out into blogland this is going to help me to reach my goals.
Here is my visual reminder of what and why I am doing this. Why don't I take more pictures of me and the girls or G and the girls with the camera phone?!?!  What a waste of the camera!



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...