Sunday, July 29, 2012

Lipstick Lessons

About a year ago I received a pattern to make a skirt from a friend. This week I decided to make a skirt for myself since most of my craft projects are for my girls. I found two fun fabrics at Joanns and decided the black print would be more forgiving since this is my first time making clothing.


After cutting the fabric I had a quick lesson with my newly acquired 1970 Better Homes and Gardens Sewing Book to learn how to do a gathering stitch properly. I was pretty happy with my first attempt and now would love to make a ruffle dress for my girls!



While attaching the skirt to the waistband my daughter was very concerned that I was sewing it on backwards!


As I inserted the elastic for the waistband and finished the seam I was getting excited! It was actually looking like a real skirt!


It fits! Now it was time to hem the bottom. I went out to my MIL to get her opinion and decided to hem it above my knee. I'm on the shorter side so hopefully it will help me look not so short!


The finished project!!! I'm super happy with it and I learned a lot. I'll be honest that it has a few flaws but will definitely be making another with my other fabric. More skirts are in my future now that I have had some success!


Pattern is "The Lipstick Skirt" by Bananafana
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. This is SOOOO Cute! I love the fabric you chose and the length looks perfect! (Also, wash the skirt a few times and you probably won't even be able to tell where the mistakes are at and for sure nobody else will be able to tell!)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...