Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Hands free... Please be me!

This is a follow up to my last blog in which I reflected on Hands Free Mama's blog.
I read an article the same week about smart devices and how they are at times making us less productive. People check their phone about every six minutes!!! At first you think "naw! I don't do that!". And sure at times you go an hour... But then other times you check it even more often! It's our boredom buster! Have a free minute between classes- lets check facebook. Making dinner and waiting for the water to boil- what's going on in the news? My phone checking time?? Waiting for the water to heat up for a shower and checking blogs in the morning!
In the past couple of weeks I have conscientiously paid more attention to when I'm using my phone, why, and what else could I be doing. It's been eye opening AND such a challenge! As summer comes I'm determined to be on the phone less and actually engaged with my family more. Or reading more books, completing more projects, etc.
I absolutely agree with the original blog and how much we are missing looking at screens. Watching a reality TV show this week with my husband and it was following a couple who is becoming empty nesters. As they struggle with their identity as a couple they have started to "date" each other. On one date they are at a restaurant and he is busy on his phone texting their son. She is clearly annoyed... This technology is taking us away from our loved ones- not bringing us closer! As my eyes have now been open for a few weeks, I am excited for summer and what it will bring. I know that I will have more time- not because of some miracle in physics and time, but as a result of being more intentional with my time.

I'm excited for the memories to come!



1 comment:

  1. We tried to ban our phones from bed...it lasted a week. Its like reading the newspaper in bed....only you never finish.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...