Sunday, January 31, 2010

Little footprints. . .

As many of you know, our life was changed dramatically 3 1/2 years ago with the sudden and unexpected arrival of my little Pumpkin.  Every so often it hits me. . . "I had a baby how early?  She only weighed 15.5 ounces?  I spent three months visiting a hospital?"  Its crazy.  I never imagined my senior year of high school that the Children's Hospital I volunteered in would become a place that can bring my emotions to the surface just driving by. 

My first time seeing my beautiful baby girl!  (Yes I thought and still do think she was beautiful!)


You don't think you can handle things when you watch other people go through it, then when it becomes your reality you have to step up.  We did it. . .we survived somehow.  7 weeks of our little girl fighting to breathe on two different ventilaltors. . . on 100% oxygen at times and still unable to keep her sats up.  Sitting by her side just watching her move and patting her bottom.  FINALLY after 7 long weeks she was extibated and I could hold my little girl.  I was in heaven!  Next came dressing her, then feeding her, and finally the day came.  On her three month birthday we brought home a 4 lb, 2 oz baby girl complete with oxygen tank, apnea monitor, and no sleep for the next week for G and I!  We literally took turns sleeping so someone was always awake with her. . we were so worried she would stop breathing and we wouldn't know (we did have the apnea monitor, but didn't trust it!).  We were thrilled at the first doctor's appointment to show off our little miracle and even more ectastic that she had gained weight!  Our rollercoaster ride was finally starting to slow down and maybe we were going to be able to just enjoy our little girl.

Watching my little fighter. . .still amazing to see how small she was!

Tonight I sat and watched with I'm sure many other Americans to see the arrival of the 19th Duggar baby.  I know many have said they need to stop having children and that this is a sign, etc. . .. but it doesn't change the emotions.  Watching them have to take the mom into emergency surgery while her face is bright red from the mag sulfate and hearing the dad state "this will change our lives forever."  It hits home. . .prematurity is real and it is life changing.  These precious little red babies are such strong fighters.  I'm so proud of my little girl and how far she has come.  I never imagined she would be doing the things she is doing or have her special sensitivity about her when I need a hug or extra love.  She is my precious miracle. 

Sweet sleeping baby

Once again this year I am participating in March for Babies.  Feel free to join our team and walk with us or to sponsor our team.  Our goal this year is $1550 which is $100 per ounce that Pumpkin weighed at birth.  With the arrival of Sweet Pea last year I have changed our team name to "Little Feet, Big Dreams."  Both of my girls are petite little things but I hope they acheive whatever they may dream in life.  Please help our team to help other babies be able to have the chance to reach their dreams.  Click on the badge on the right side of my blog to go to our team webpage.

Thanks for your support and for being in our lives!

One of my favorite pictures (Feb 2009)

2 comments:

  1. Our children are truly blessings, aren't they? Thanks for reminding me about how precious life is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable new layout, I love it!

    Amazing how our kids started out so little and have grown so big. Mine turns 7 tomorrow...it doesn't seem possible.

    S

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...